I just finished reading Su's post on the "Moth Diaries" by Rachel Klein, I was very blown away by the use of language and description of the book. I really love how Su does not talk at you, but she shows you step by step how she thinks a certain way and why. Just her introduction wants me to read the book she wrote the response on. I think that the way Su praises the book kind of pulls me in even further. She writes "... although I haven't had time to read many pages, I already knew from the preface that it was going to be one of the best books I would read." This powerful quote makes the reader want to read the book because of how pulling it is before you even start to read it. I think that one of the main purposes of these blog posts are to make sure that you get the reader hooked or interested in the book, so they will want to read what you have to say.
This book is a diary of a girl who is going through depression and psychosis. First off, you know that one of the main character has a problem and that will be what she will have to deal with, and most likely what the book will rely off of.
I also like how Su uses her vocabulary. This kind of post isn't about how she uses complex and hard words, this is about how she uses sophisticated language and formally writes out her sentences. For example, many times, Su could have Su could have used "book", but instead she used different words like "novel" she also used words like "prefaced" and "unreliable." What is unique about her use of language is that she isn't using words that she doesn't know, she is using words that are commonly known and changing the structure and using a different word in the sentence, that it makes it look more formal and put together.
I have to say that I have never read a blog post like this. This post isn't about what Su is thinking, while she reads the book, but it is about how she comes across the book and how she describes how she is going to read it and what she does before she starts to read the book. We kind of get an all access pass into Su's brain in this blog post. She clearly writes down everything that she is thinking.
This is a truly, thought out, well planned, and sophisticated blog post. It has a very nice and formal tone to it and it is truly one of the best I have read in a long time. Great work Su. Keep it up!
Your review on Su's blog post was really good. I think it was really good when you said that you now want to read the book. Also I think that when you said a little of what the book was about from what you learned from Su's post that you really understood it. Your post was really well written and I enjoyed reading it. Good job!
ReplyDeleteHello Miss Tygerlily Gagnon! First off I would like to express my gratitude for your finding my blog post valuable. I swear tears were coming out of my eyes when you said that you've never read a blog post like mine :')). I also indulge in the fact that you received an all access pass to my brain.
ReplyDeleteI do recommend you to read The Moth Diaries after I finish reading it, of course, which according to my calculations will be in about 52 years. It is a great book that you will definitely enjoy if you like psychology and getting all access passes to the narrator's brain.
Sincerely,
Su Aray