At first, Cara becomes really close to a baby wolf that is sick and her dad is taking care of. They found her in the woods, cold and alone. Cara and her dad try to find the wolf's mother, that is the only way that the wolf can survive. Wolves cannot live in humans care for very long. Soon after they were taking care of it, the poor baby wolf died. I think that this was foreshadowing something bigger and more terrible. The wolf dying was really sad and upsetting for Cara, but I think that the way Picoult described the wolf's death in a way that something was going to happen next. She kind of shows, but not tells that something that was going to happen next, twice as bad.
Sure enough, a few chapters later, the car that they were driving smashed into a tree. I think that this is what the wolf dying was foreshadowing. I also noticed that when the wolf died, Cara could of saved him, but didn't. In this case, Cara's dad, Luke, would of died if Cara hadn't of dragged him out onto the ground. I think this was a type of closure for Cara because of letting the wolf die impacted her in a way that she needed to feel that she was helping the world in some way. I do not think that she did this because she wanted to make up for the wolf dying, but this helped her get by it. This is what I thought that the wolf dying was foreshadowing.
In conclusion, the wolf dying kind of had an impact on Cara and Picoult made it clear to the readers that in someway, there was something awful going to happen next because why else would she put it in the book? The wolf dying wasn't needed if the car crash was not going to happen next. I think that Picoult was doing a lot of foreshadowing and she made it clear to the readers.
I absolutely love this blog post! It was very informal! I have also read this book and I loved it. I like the way that you explained what you thought the authors purpose was and how you clearly go through the parts of the book. Excellent job!
ReplyDelete